Thursday, July 31, 2008

a day in the life...

080731

Here's a really funny craigslist posting. I concur...



Where are all those freewheels and derailleurs going anyway? I'd love to have them. If I see another ad for a "sick ride" or a "hipster urban commuter bike" or what have you, I think I will throw up in my mouth a little bit. At least I'll yawn. I guess they must be selling. Don't get me wrong, I have a single speed bike, but I don't think you need to defile every bike you can get your hands on. Some people still like having gears. They can decide.

In other news, I got an instant pinch flat today on a wonderful official City Of Chicago (Richard M. Daley, Mayor) pothole today. I was going westbound on Grand Ave under Michigan Ave where it gets all dark (especially with sunglasses!) at around 25 mph when I just went completely over a big-assed pothole that made a "bang" sound on my back wheel which had me expecting it to have a busted spoke or something (score one for Deep V rims!). I had to walk my bike about 4 blocks to the CTA and train it home. So sad.



I rebuilt (by which I mean removing the rust covered spokes a couple at a time, sanding them down, lubing the spoke nipple, replacing a half dozen missing spokes and trueing) an old, but not too old, kind of nice double wall Weinmann rim. I'm trying to resurrect these old wheels to put on a 50cm Diamondback/Centurion road bike I bought for $75 a while back. I used the wheels off of it for another project, so I'm trying to return it to working order now. It's really a Zen paradise just tinkering away with some music spilling out of the poopy jambox (today: The Smiths "Strangeways Here We Come and the newer Clinic album "Do It" or something along those lines). Pics coming soon!

No comments: