Thursday, May 14, 2009

the hollywood hills

090514

Woke up in Hollywood after an overnight drive from Oakland and ended up heading up into the hills right behind the Best Western on Franklin Ave for a little sightseeing. I headed up Beachwood Drive and rode straight up to where it ended at "Sunset Ranch."





You may know this place from the film Mulholland Drive as the place where the creepy cowboy did a little speechifying:



Walked up a trail with my bike a few hundred yards to take in this spectacular view.






If the resolution was good enough, you'd be able to see downtown LA through all the smog, but you get the general idea.

Afterwards, I preceded to just ride up and down the crazy twisty and topsy turvy streets for about 45 minutes. It felt like I'd imagine riding through a little Spanish or Italian town, little old roads that look more like driveways in a lot of places. Lots of crazy houses. Some look like castles, some like little hobbit huts, there were some pretty crazy mid-century gems tucked away in there too.









Riding up on this fairly cracked me up:



I guess this is pretty legit real estate up in this posh zone! Just look next door to the "lot!"



Crazy stuff! I got my climbing legs on again today.







No comments: